Just a few moderately uninformed comments/questions...

1) Use DDMS and MAT to try to nail down any possible memory issues that you
might be overlooking.

2) Canvas 2D does have significant limitations compared to OpenGL when it
comes to a large number of sprites on the screen at once.  Is this a
possible issue for you?

3) You might check out Andengine http://www.andengine.org (not affiliated
with them).  It is a 2D opengl framework that is a whole heck of a lot
easier to get a 2D game up and running than using raw openGL (in my
opinion).

Justin