On Sep 13, 11:24 pm, Jeremy Statz <jst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The big problem here, in my eyes, is that this appears to
> affect any OpenGL using application, and is tremendously discouraging,
> to the point that people pull things off the market and avoid using
> OpenGL.

I've been chasing this in a couple of my own OpenGL apps for a couple
of months as well. It's summed up well in this thread - extremely
intermittent, but extremely serious when it does happen. And I'm one
of the devs who has pulled an app from the Market as a result.

At the moment, I'm provisionally optimistic that I've worked around
the issue in my case. Given it's a race condition, I took the approach
of maximum thread-safety: I put a whole load of semaphores into my
code, added "synchronized" and "volatile" modifiers all over the
place, that sort of thing. And it seems to have been successful... I
can't be sure (because of the intermittency), but I haven't seen it
happen for a couple of weeks now.

If I had to speculate, I'd say that the problem finally went when I
synchronized some code which re-generates geometry within my OpenGL
model. I added semaphores to ensure that textures, geometry, and
rendering never happened concurrently. There's no way to know that was
the end problem, but that SEEMED to be it. If that helps anyone.

Just to reiterate, I agree that this is a serious platform-level bug
that needs to be fixed by Google. And it has gotten worse since 2.2,
although I have (rarely) seen it happen on my G1 running 1.6.

String