...with this operating system and tool chain. When I decided to "port"
my old PalmOS app over a few weeks ago, I faced a steep learning curve
since this was all new to me: Android, Java, and Eclipse. Now that
I've worked up the mountain much more quickly than expected and am
making excellent progress, I'm appreciating all of the things the O/S
(and language) do for you that used to be much more painful.

For example, I added photo support to my app yesterday, taking JPEG
data as a "blob" out of a SQLite database, converted it to a Bitmap,
put a thumbnail version in an ImageButton, then when the user clicks
the button the full-size image pops up. I was surprised at how few
lines of XML/Java were required for all this, plus with Java doing its
dynamic compilation it all worked on the first try (it's nice that
Java eliminates the possibility of many of the dumb mistakes that you
can make in C/C++).

Sorry for this semi-OT post, but among some of the gripes that we
sometimes express here, the developers have gotten a LOT right! And
apparently an old dog can still learn a few new tricks...