It's hard to compete against free.  I've not installed many phone
apps, but in terms of desktop apps I find that quality/fit is so
variable that I'm reluctant to pay up front for an app (have only done
it on a couple of occasions), and I would imagine the same is true for
phone apps.  I have on a handful of occasions (maybe 25% of those that
give the option) upgraded a free desktop app to paid to gain more
features (and a little bit out of guilt, I suppose).  I don't ever
recall upgrading a "trial period" app -- for some reason they never
seem that valuable to me when the trial period expires.

One problem that phone apps have, I suspect, is that it's difficult/
impossible (depending on the market) to directly provide interfaces to
upgrade to a new version, whether free or paid, while desktop apps can
do it seamlessly.