Just my 2c - the freemium model when executed well could be one answer.
Basically the free app version should do enough to not invite removal due to
either "not compelling" or "too irritating". But it should also entice
enough so that the user just bites - again patience is key as not every one
will bite the very first time.

One app that does this well is Tapatalk (I am not associated with them in
any way other than being a happy, paying consumer). Their free version
allows me to read from forums, supply login, read private messages etc. but
then if I want to post/reply/click thru to bigger images etc I must upgrade.
They didn't keep telling me I was a cheapskate just when I tried a premium
feature. Loved it enough to pay up.

More than the platform it is the individual app I think. As an example, the
free virus scan software that Google Pack installs on the desktop is
irritating me to the point I am going to replace it - asks me to upgrade
whenever it can as opposed to when it makes sense.