On 9/18/2010 2:23 PM, Dianne Hackborn wrote:
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Leigh McRae <leigh.mc...@lonedwarfgames.com <mailto:leigh.mc...@lonedwarfgames.com>> wrote:

     Making a few fast paths for drawing bitmaps (BitBlt) would be
    huge for game developers.  I know that 3 of my games I have made
    aren't OGL simply because I don't want the extra code
    maintenance/burden.  If a game is doing some of the things you
    mention, well then it's not likely concerned with frame-rate.

Use OpenGL ES.
As I stated, using OpenGL ES requires extra code. You to manage re-loading the assets such as textures and VBO. With the Android Activity life cycle this is even more of an issue than other platforms. This isn't trivial. It also exposes you to driver bugs/oddities.

Seriously, you generally can't just accelerate one function and nothing else. What you will end up with is the worst of both worlds, as you take the hit of switching between hardware and software rendering all the time.
You can actually. I don't think it's being suggested that you use the OpenGL driver to implement a basic bitblt. Its being suggested that the Android OS supports the ability for hardware to accelerate the bitblt. Maybe it already does, I don't know.

If you just want to draw bitmaps to the screen, this can certainly be accomplished with Open GL ES, and you don't need to rely on the platform to provide you with essentially helper APIs to make it easier to do that particular special case. You can ask anyone here to write such a thing for you. Waiting for the platform to provide it is a really bad option because you don't know when it will be available (we don't really, either), and even once it does become available you can't really take advantage of it until it is available on the majority of the devices.

There are so many things people can do without relying on the platform to give it to them in a nice little bundle.
I don't think anyone is waiting. I believe it was just a request/suggestion.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Leigh McRae
www.lonedwarfgames.com