The reason you can't play the file is the media player doesn't support
raw AAC files. You could wrap them in a M4A format and that should
work, but you won't be able to get a seamless playback stream.

I know there are use cases we can't adequately support and I will be
pushing hard to fill in the gaps in future releases.