When my app encounters an error it pops up a message with two buttons
- "Dismiss" and "Email Error Report". The error report builds an XML
document with every detail I can query about the phone and emails it
to a dedicated address. This tends to give me at least basic data even
from someone who just downloaded, tried it once, discovered it didn't
work on their phone, and uninstalled it. Half the time, they also
click the "Email Error Report" button so I have both their email
address (in case I have questions or want to let them know I fixed
their problem) and the report data.

In the next release of my app, I plan to record a "menu history" which
will be included in the error report, enabling me to replay the user's
actions. All of this is fairly easy to implement, especially compared
to the normal cat-and-mouse game of trying to get enough data from a
user to diagnose his/her issue.

Users also get a chance to add comments to the email before it's sent,
or to opt out at the last minute. So far this approach is working
great and total implementation time was about a day.