I tried the following:
1) Changed viewport to 1/2 and 1/4 of original size - no effect.
2) Changed all textures to one,so there is just one texture binding
per cube - no effect.
3) Culling is on

For all other points please take a look at my code which is in the
forum post I linked here, as I am not sure how to do all of them.