> > Hi all.  I have read all about having separate processes for different
> > Application components, and how to use them.  I am curious, what are
> > some appropriate use cases for when an application should actually use
> > separate processes?
>
> I'm not sure there are any for the vast majority of Android apps.

Well, okay, but the question is... What are some appropriate use cases
for when an application should actually use separate processes?

> > It seems to me, the main advantage to using
> > separate processes is to make the different portions of your app more
> > easily killable by the OS.
>
> No offense, but taking up double memory to allow the OS to more easily
> kill half of it is like chopping down trees to give you more paper for
> recycling. There might be valid reasons for using more than one
> process -- though I don't know of any -- but I feel fairly confident
> this is not one of them.

Using two processes would take up more total memory when they were
active at the same time.  However, sometimes components are foreground
and background and therefore are active in, some components are active
frequently or all the time in the background such as Services and
BroadcastReceivers, and some only when in the foreground such as an
Activity.  Some components take 5000% more memory than others.  It
would indeed be stupid to double memory to allow the OS to more easily
kill half of it, but that is not what I was implying.

I can't think of a good reason to use separate processes, other than
making portions of your app easily "killable" (such as background
services).  I'd like to hear other developers' experiences with doing
so, or  framework engineers' rationale on their purpose.

-Matt