Please leave the lifecycle documentation.  Processes are just transient
entities used to hold running processes; killing a process is not the same
as "stopping" an application.  You are treating this like a Unix system,
when it is not.

Resetting an application back to its initial state is done with the "clear
data" button in manage applications, which asks the package manager to erase
*all* of its data, and does a full force stop which in addition to killing
processes also stops services and tells all system services to release any
state they have about the app (such as configured app widgets etc).

You should use the same API that manage apps does for this, which is not
part of the SDK, but you clearly aren't trying to do something in the SDK.
 Which brings up -- your question should be posted to a group like
android-porting since you are doing platform-level stuff.  Posting questions
like this here is not going to get a good response because when people see
questions on this group they are thinking in terms of the SDK, which is not
at all relevant for you.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer