Does anyone know why this is disabled in the emulator? There's several
posts about this across the web however no responses to them?
I actually downloaded the emulator to get a feel for Android to see if
I could switch, it's not too welcoming to see it not supporting the
sync, a bit frustrating - I wanted an idea of the system in general.

The market being missing kind of sucks too, I realise the emulator
isn't a "demo, try Android!" thing but how hard would it be to add
this so people can get an idea of Android?  - I was lucky enough to
have someone at my place of work loan me his old Android phone but not
everyone will be.
Can this please be considered?