I also tested this on an HTC Droid Incredible with the same bad result
there.

Also, I tested by only drawing over part of the background instead of
using glScissor(). Same result again. It would appear that the OpenGl
library on HTC phones fills the color buffer with garbage on each
swap. Why would this happen?  Does anyone know if HTC changed the
OpenGl library on its phones?  Is there a place to file a bug report
just for HTC versions of Android?

Warren