kstamm wrote:
> Android was promised to be open entirely

It is.

> and I assumed it was going to allow creative use of the device

Android is not a device. Android is an operating system. The T-Mobile G1
is a device.

> Perhaps in 2.0 we will actually have an open telephone platform

You have an open telephone platform. It's called Android.

However, to achieve your goals, most likely you will need to work at the
level of firmware, not the SDK. That also means you must determine what
sort of hardware will support that firmware.

If your complaints are that the T-Mobile G1 does not allow replacement
firmware, please direct your complaints to HTC (makers of the phone)
and/or T-Mobile (distributors of the phone). Complaining on this list is
an inefficient means of complaining to these two firms, who are not
known for participating in discussions here.

> I just want to have control of the handheld's reactions.

Depending on what actions you are seeking to control the reactions for,
that may or may not be possible at the level of the SDK. More likely, it
will require firmware-level modifications, for the sorts of things you
are describing.

The source code and discussion lists related to firmware-level
development can be found at http://source.android.com.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com

Android Training on the Ranch! -- Mar 16-20, 2009
http://www.bignerdranch.com/schedule.shtml