TreKing:
I'm downloading contextual overlays that can't be stored on the device.  So,
when the ACTION_UP happens I use projection to determine where the mapView
is pointing and start the overlay download.  I have a feeling that the
overlay downloads are competing with the Google Map tile downloads for the
data connection.  This interleaving of the overlay draw and the Google Map
draw is causing the issue.  Your stored overlays are probably written to the
overlay list before the first Google Map tiles arrives.  If I knew when each
Google Map tiles starts and stops its download, I could use synchronization
techniques to schedule overlay downloads (this is how it Google Map works on
iPhone). Better yet, an indication when all the "in view" Google Map tiles
have been downloaded would be great.