> The reason for the big difference is that strings in res/values are
> stored uncompressed in UTF16. They can then be memory mapped. (The
> Android dev team later said if would have been better if they went
> with UTF8 for size)

Interesting, thanks.

> Perhaps you could leave one language (the most used) in res/values for
> safety, speed, and the generations of the IDs. And then create
> something that will load strings using the same IDs from xml for other
> languages.

That's a great idea but it means an extra 130k just to have English in
res/ and the app doesn't
go on SD (service,widgets) so I can't justify those extra bytes just
for ease of building I think.

I'm currently leaning towards parsing the xml files in Perl as a pre-
build step and replacing R.string.NAME in the java source with the
ints.

I'll leave the values-xxx directories in res for eclipse building and
move them to assets/ as part of the build (I copy everything to /tmp
for release building anyway)

The most time consuming is going to be replacing getString() with
MyRes.getString() and pulling all the @string specs in layouts into
code.

Pent