Well, I managed to drop 30% off the size of my APK by munging most of
the strings over from res/ to assets/ during the build.

Thought I was home dry, but then switching to French noticed that the
special characters (acute etc) were coming out as the odd '?' symbol.
I would say the encoding is wrong, but it looks OK.
This is how I read the strings.xml from assets/

InputStream is = am.open( path );
XmlPullParser xp = XmlPullParserFactory.newInstance().newPullParser();
xp.setInput( is, "UTF-8" );

Any ideas ?

Spent hours trying to fix this.

Pent