On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:16 PM, blindfold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> > When Dianne said...
> > > Contributing patches would be a much more effective approach than a
> petition.
> > ...the specific patches she presumably meant would be patches to make
> > this as-yet incomplete code into a stable, usable, library.
> My concern is that at its lowest level javax.sound too is mostly
> hampered by Android MediaPlayer being a "more or less stand-alone and
> closed-source native application" that communicates with Android
> through a too limited set of methods and data structures (e.g.,
> files).

As far as I know, there is nothing related to any of the issues being
discussed that is at this point closed source.  The media player application
source is available; the framework's implementation of MediaPlayer (this is
part of the framework, not an application) is certainly all open sourced;
and the low-level native PV libraries are all available as source.

You can, today, go and download the android open-source project, and
starting modifying PV and the framework to support streaming.  That was all
that I was trying to point out when saying people can submit patches: this
discussion seems to be rooted on the view that "google is the only one who
can help us," when this is no longer the case and anyone can contribute.  So
if there is some specific feature you absolutely need, in some cases it may
be a good use of time to just go and add it instead of asking for others to
do so.

That all said, I am not that familiar with the media stuff, but as David has
said the things being asked for here are already well known limitations that
effort is being put in to addressing.  By and large, all of the thingsbeing
asked for aren't missing because they weren't deemed important, but simply
because doing them is not trivial and will take significant effort to
accomplish.  As such, continual requests to have them added is not going to
make that happen any faster. :)

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public
forums, where I and others can see and answer them.