Thanks for the input.  Your solution would be nice IF Google would
implement it.  They could also implement an in-app purchase mechanism
like Apple's, which works quite well.  However, I wouldn't hold your
breath waiting for either of those to happen.

As for having a content provider keep track, there is no way to match
purchases from the Market to user's devices.  That means that the user
would have to run the add-on app so that it could communicate with the
server.  This has the same problem that I am facing now, but also adds
the requirement that the user have internet connectivity to run his
app.