Kostya,

Thanks for the advice I did as you have said and everything compiles.
There is still a problem, however, the notification manager does not
show the updates I am expecting.

Here is my Service Impl
public class AndroidServiceImpl extends IAndroidService.Stub{
        public String getAndroidText(String conversation)
                throws RemoteException {
            // TODO Auto-generated method stub
            NotificationManager currentManager = (NotificationManager)
getSystemService(Context.NOTIFICATION_SERVICE);

            Context context = getApplicationContext();
            CharSequence contentTitle = "Sogeti";
            CharSequence contentText = "This is a message";
            Intent notificationIntent = new
Intent(AndroidService.this, AndroidServiceImpl.class);
            PendingIntent contentIntent =
PendingIntent.getActivity(AndroidService.this, 0, notificationIntent,
0);
            notification.setLatestEventInfo(context, contentTitle,
contentText, contentIntent);

            currentManager.notify(NOTIFICATION_ID, notification);
            return "Android Services are Fun!";
        }
    }

And the parts of the activity that call the service...

@Override
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        setContentView(R.layout.main);
        bindService(new
Intent("com.sogeti.walkthrough.service.ANDROID_SERVICE"), serConn,
Context.BIND_AUTO_CREATE);
        serviceBtn = (Button)findViewById(R.id.serviceBtn);
        serviceBtn.setOnClickListener(new OnClickListener() {

            public void onClick(View v) {
                callService();
            }
        });
    }
    private void callService(){
        try{
            String text = androidService.getAndroidText("Test");
            String other = "test";
        }
        catch(NullPointerException npe){
            //TODO: Log Null pointer