Thanks so much for taking so much time to try and help me out. Here is
how I create the Notification

private Notification notification;
        private static final int NOTIFICATION_ID=1;
        protected Context context;
        @Override
        public IBinder onBind(Intent arg0) {
                // TODO Auto-generated method stub
                return new AndroidServiceImpl();
        }
        @Override
        public void onCreate(){
                super.onCreate();
                NotificationManager currentManager = (NotificationManager)
getSystemService(Context.NOTIFICATION_SERVICE);

I think the real problem is with the context in the Impl. Can I even
get an application context from the impl? Should this be passed to the
service from the application? Can it be grabed from AndroidService?

public class AndroidServiceImpl extends IAndroidService.Stub{
                public String getAndroidText(String conversation)
                                throws RemoteException {
                        // TODO Auto-generated method stub
                        NotificationManager currentManager =
(NotificationManager)
getSystemService(Context.NOTIFICATION_SERVICE);

                        Context context = getApplicationContext();

This is for an open source class I am teaching so I can create a
Google project tomorrow if you still want to help. That way you can
see the whole code.