I am using a Motorola Droid and an HTC Hero (both purchased used
through ebay), and find them to both work well.  The phone does not
need to be rooted or unlocked, and no phone service is required,
unless your app make use of phone services.  Also if you want to be
able to test on a lot of different devices, there is a service which
allows you to connect to phones remotely.  It has it's problems, but
have found it somewhat useful (although it is a bit pricey).

http://www.deviceanywhere.com/index.aspx