We have: Nexus One, Acer Liquid E, Galaxy Tab, GTablet
I don't use the emulator at all any more ;)

It's best if you actually use the phone yourself for day to day activity.
That way you can actually use the apps you write in real world activity.
There is no better way to determine what works and what doesn't.

I recommend you simply get one of the development phone that
are available after you pay your $25, but if your getting a
phone anyway grab one from your local carrier first so you'll actually have
it in your pocket to use your own code.

Right now I'm carrying around my Liquid E. It's a mid priced phone, and not
my favorite, but it does the job and gives me a good idea of what my users
will see when the buy my apps.

FYI if you can't find what you need locally, eBay can help, but make sure
you check the frequencies your carrier uses because there is nothing
more disappointing then buying some device that you can't actually use.
... but If you don't have a cell plan, you can still develop on the phone.

- Brill Pappin