Why don't you pull down data ahead of time? You haven't told us
exactly what you are querying.
Maps, logging the route?? In any case, you can either pre-cache some
of the data you'll need or cache
the data you'll be sending and send it less frequently in either
direction.  The only reason I can
understand polling so frequently is if you are pulling data that is
completely unpredictable. That is
you have some huge table or tables and really have no idea what the
next query is. Maybe
you need to think a little more about how to predict what you'll need
from either end.
As folks have mentioned, latency and bandwidth are highly
unpredictable and fluctuate in time
and space. Your design will have to heave enough headroom to account
for that while still
delivering whatever minimum user experience your app needs..

Jonathan