Thanks for the answer.  I had a feeling the Tag property was involved
somehow, but what's the right way to use it?  In the getView() method
can I do something like this:

deleteButton.setTag(position);

where position is the int passed into getView()?  And then use that in
the delete button's OnClickListener()?  It looks like getTag() returns
an Object.

I just tried passing an Integer object in the Tag property.  It
appears to be working.

In the OnClickListener() I do the following:

items.remove(index.intValue());

Is this the standard recommended way to do this?  I just want to make
sure there aren't any gotchas I have missed as a result of taking this
approach.

Thanks again,
gb