Actually, use:

File pathDir = Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory();

That is, don't use toString() unless and until you actually need it. A
File object is more useful.

Don't perform string operations to construct file paths.  For example,
write

File logDir = new File(pathDir, "logg");
logDir.mkdirs();
File logFile = new File(logDir, generateLogDirName());
OutputStream logStream = new FileOutputStream(logfile);
BufferedWriter logWriter = new  BufferedWriter(new
OutputStreamWriter(logStream, "UTF-8"));

No toString() method needed -- wanted!