On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 5:19 PM, John Gaby <jg...@gabysoft.com> wrote:

> The following is the routine that I wrote to test the function.  The
> call to manager.getPackageInfo works, but the call to
> GetPackageContents returns null.

What is "GetPackageContext" in your code?  Is that just a typo and should be
"getPackageContext"?

> I actually tend to agree, but I really hate to force the user to
> install the app to internal memory (there is a fair amount of
> content).  The feedback I have gotten so far from the users that I
> have asked is that they would rather see a separate app than loose the
> ability to install on the SD card.  Is there ANY other way to deal
> with this?

Well for transferring data between apps, I will say the same thing I already
have: I would very much recommend using a receiver, service, or content
provider.  Don't use shared user IDs.  Your widget could just for example
send a broadcast to your app when it needs to populate data.  As a bonus,
your main app could be the one in charge of the data and send a broadcast to
the widget app when it has changed to give it the new data.  I think you'll
find this a much cleaner solution than trying to directly access data files.

At any rate, offering your users a small add-on app that they can optionally
download to provide a widget is probably not too bad I guess.  Heck you
could turn it into an advantage and make it paid so it is an additional
feature they can purchase for your app. ;)

But I do think you should architect it so that the interaction between these
pieces is through app components, not data.  It will result in a much
cleaner and more maintainable design.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer