The IRS will ALWAYS give you the benefit of the doubt the FIRST YEAR ONLY. In fact, according to the rules the need to file quarterly only kicks in IF you owed more than $1,000 the previous year... You generally won't be penalized if you fail to file at the end of the first quarter if you haven't filed your taxes for the previous year yet because you may not even know you owe more than $1,000 (this is not law just the IRS guidelines). They may access the penalties but they will always waive them if you talk to them (nicely).

What you should do is figure out the rough amount you would owe just before the end of the year... and send them enough money to make sure you owe less than $1,000 when you file the taxes. If you do that, you will never trigger the requirement to file quarterly and it saves you a bunch of work. Again.. this is not law... but it is how it works.

For what it's worth.. I'm not an accountant (but then most accountants actually know VERY LITTLE about taxes).. but I did operate a rather large income tax franchise for several years, and I've only met one accountant who knew more about U.S. taxes than I did, compared to about 200-300 who knew a lot less.

In general... if you do use an accountant, get one who specializes in business taxes. A normal accountant just does not know much about them... even if they tell you they do. When I had the tax franchise, every year we would get 40-50 customers coming in and we would have to file amendments to their previous years taxes because the accountants had done such a lousy job. In one case, we amended the previous 3 years and got a woman over $50,000 back after her accountant screwed it up so badly.

Sincerely,

Brad Gies
Bistro Bot - Bistro Blurb
http://bgies.com            http://nocrappyapps.com
http://bistroblurb.com      http://forcethetruth.com
http://ihottonight.com
Everything in moderation, including abstinence (paraphrased)

Every person is born with a brain... Those who use it well are the successful
happy ones - Brad Gies

Adversity can make or break you... It's your choice... Choose wisely - Brad Gies

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can
change the world. Indeed. It is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead