Hi,

We have 2 apps on Android Market - Camera Fun Pro (paid app) and
Camera Fun Free (free app). Here is the situation:

* A user in UK (HTC Desire, OS 2.2, T-Mobile UK) could NOT find my
apps “Camera Fun Pro” and “Camera Fun Free” on the Google Market. I
have heard similar complaints from a few other users as well.

* When I googled, I found a number of instances of developers
complaining about apps not showing up in Google Market for their users
when they had “Copy Protection” turned ON for their app listing. Based
on this, I turned OFF the “Copy Protection” switch for both my apps at
10:48am.

* At 11:03 am - within 15 mins, the same user confirmed that he could
see the app. Nothing else changed in those 15 mins. This tells me that
the “Copy Protection” causes some apps to remain hidden – not sure
why.

* Now I am happy that my app is visible to more people than before –
but there seems to be a wrinkle with that too. See
http://betterandroid.wordpress.com/2009/03/19/we-finally-found-the-root-cause-of-update-issue-its-because-androids-copy-protection/.
Seems like when you go from copy-protection-ON to copy-protection-OFF,
when an update is released, the updated software cannot access
database created with the previous version.

* In our apps Camera Fun Pro/Free, we are NOT using any databases. The
only persistent data we store is to read/write the app preferences/
settings using the SharedPreferences class.

Here is my question: this access restriction problem, is it limited to
databases or does it happen with preferences? Now that my apps have
gone copy-protection-ON to copy-protection-OFF, will there be any
problem when I release updates for my apps? FYI – the min OS required
for my apps is 1.6.

I am really nervous about releasing updates to my apps – I hope
somebody from Google can definitely clarify this issue.

Thanks,
Vinay Athma
SpiceLoop