Good points. I think what I read indicated that the UI is that good that a
custom UI would no longer be needed.. or probably more likely that hopefully
a custom UI won't be built and that all android 3+ devices would share the
same UI. I doubt that will be the case, as you said it's open and handset
makers are always going to want to find a way to entice people to buy their
phone instead of a competitors. When you have similar specs for a phone,
often the UI is what sets it apart. That and stability of the device.