Hi Don,

OI Update is the best option there is at the moment for checking for
version upgrades. It does rely on developers providing update
information as part of their apps or keeping an up to date listing for
the app on AndAppStore.com (which not all developers do), so it's not
perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Al.