-----Original Message-----
From: android-developers@googlegroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of whitemice
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 06:55
To: Android Developers
Subject: Re: Fw: [android-developers] Re: Android and bluetooth

Hi Nick

>>I can see there is a use case for this. If we were to do this, it would be
through a scary sounding bluetooth permission. "This application can connect
to untrusted Bluetooth devics". We'll have to think about this a little.<<
I would do it this way:
(1) Application permission: "This application can connect to any
untrusted Bluetooth device without asking your permission".

(2) To get this to work the user must manually activate Bluetooth, and
then select an extra check box for Bluetooth Ad Hoc communication
(seeing another scary warning) in the Bluetooth settings.
The user is then shown a list of currently installed applications that
make use of this feature, having to activate (or disable) this feature
for each individual application.

It would be the responsibility of application developer to detect when
this feature is disabled, and then guide the user towards the
Bluetooth settings panel.

(3) Make the Android market a website, and make it searchable by
permission.
This would allow the community to find and strike down applications
that misuse this capability.

I think this would be enough hoops for the user to jump through while
keeping the user in control, and making it more secure than existing
Symbian Bluetooth implementations.

>>The first step is to get any Bluetooth API out. Let me work on that first
:)<<
I’ve used enough bad Bluetooth stacks to know not to ask you to
hurry ;-)
…But you can put me down as a vested interest if you require some
outside validation in this area.

Thanks for listening
Mark