I remember that early Android devices were all 16 bit color (RGB_565)
but read something about 24 bit color support on newer devices?  I'd
like to enable it in a safe way if possible for my surface/pixelformat
for GL but I'm not getting a valid egl config back.

I've tried:

setEGLConfigChooser(8, 8, 8, 0, 16, 0); // 24 bit color, no alpha, 16
bit depth buffer, no stencil buffer
getHolder().setFormat(PixelFormat.TRANSLUCENT); // supposedly makes it
use 8888

On a galaxy s and no dice.

So my questions are:  Do any devices support high color and if so, is
there a good way to use it when available but fall back to 16 bit when
not for OpenGL?

I found this snippet somewhere, but haven't tried doing this in combo
with the pixelformat:

public class MyActivity extends Activity {
  @Override
  public void onAttachedToWindow() {
    super.onAttachedToWindow();
    Window window = getWindow();
    window.setFormat(PixelFormat.RGBA_8888);
  }
}

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!