I am having some difficulty compiling the source code. This post is
largely posting my problems and solutions that I was unable to find
anywhere else.

(I have been following the directions from here:
http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html)

Repo seems to be downloading the code without a problem.

When I run make...

initially I encountered compiler errors having to do with const char* -
> char* for several instances of strchar(...) and strrchar(...) being
invalid. I corrected these errors by casting using
strchar((char*)...).

I encountered and error having to do with something not being able to
find '-lasound'. I reinstalled lib-asound a few times, the correct
solution was to install the 32-bit library for it.

Then I encountered and error with a something not being able to find
the wx/wxprec.h header file. (wx was not on that list of stuff to
install, however I needed to install libwxbase2.8-dev and then move
the it from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/* to /usr/include/wx/*

I have attempted to run make using 'make -j4' (my computer has a dual
core processor), however it gets a few minutes into the compile and
gives a linking error with a .so file. if I just run 'make' with no
arguments it passes that point by over an hour, but obviously takes a
longer time to get there. I was also looking into using distcc to
spread out the load across another computer or two - but I am not sure
if there is anything to be gained (it looks like a large portion of
the work is linking and not actual compiling).

Addititonally, while I was able to run 'lunch' the first few times, it
seems to have broken since, and now when I run lunch it says:

Using lunch master without the GUI.
No such file: /home/andrew/.lunchrc.

I have redownloaded the repo and reinstalled lunch with no effect.