Did you install all the packages required from:

http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

I'm able to build error free from the latest repo synced source.

I routinely use make -j8 on a 6 core AMD phenom box and only
see errors I introduce. :)

Have you run x86memtest?   This build will stress the memory
subsystem (and if you don't have enough real memory + swap,
that might cause some issues) .  Are you doing something weird
(like building in a VMWare image to a partition mounted from the
host?  I've seen that do buggy things as the shared disk system
flakes out which doesn't happen when you build to a native
partition.)

Every time I've had "start up errors" like that where I thought
I had to edit the source, it's been flakey disk subsystem, or
issues with the repo download.