The code is being executed from the *Call Settings *UI interface (under
settings). [I am trying to put in my own 'Voicemail Service' in].
Thus I am not allowed to 'debug' this code from eclipse. So I am trying to
put in debug messages so I can see what is going on that way.

I will try to put in some writes to an external file on the /sdcard to
verify that this code (in internal.telephony) is actually being compiled and
used. Based on what you said, somehow it must be using something else, but I
have no idea what, and don't know why it would be set up that way.