Well when I try and hit the debug button on any system process (for example,
com.android.settings), in the Devices panel, I just get a message saying:

 *'No opened project found for com.android.settings. Debug session failed!'*
*
*
It also fails no matter what else you click on. For example,
'com.android.music' or whatever.

This implies to me that you need an opened project associated with the code
you want to debug.

The *com.android.settings* process is interacting with my process through an
intent. So I am not able to put a stop in my application and step back into
the calling settings process because it is happening indirectly.

(By the way, thanks for replying! Even being able to get this off my chest
helps!)