> While I would agree that there are some unfortunate and limiting decisions
> in the design of android (but maybe not agree with you about which those
> are), I'm not sure that this actually matters that much in the long run.

I think you're getting the gist of it.  It's always hard to tell how
much impact these "limiting decisions" will have in the future (and
there will always be differences of opinion about them), but certainly
they're there.  The analog is designing a CPU with a too-small
addressing space -- you can invent fixes, and patches on the fixes,
and kludges on the patches on the fixes for awhile, but sooner or
later it catches up with you, and the platform gets more and more
expensive to build and use along the way.

Usually the platform will coast along under the momentum of existing
apps and users for awhile, but sooner or later the costs make it more
feasible (for both vendor and customer) to dump the old and switch
rather than to keep going.  Some vendors (not to be named) "finesse"
this issue by forcing users to change platforms at regular intervals,
others, thanks to good initial design (or sometimes just clever
emulation), are able to advance their platforms while still
maintaining compatibility with apps that are 30 years old.  But I
don't see the basis for either in Android.