I'm a long time Android developer (Been here since pre 1.0).  My focus
is on games, so I don't care too much about the apps side of things.
Generally I want a game to just consume the screen and everything to
just scale up as a percentage (a button should always be 50% of the
screen, etc).  I even want that on 10" tablets and whatever size
future devices, because without scaling up, I have no other content so
there will just be more blank space and a less predictable UI.

I can work it out for buttons and such but how do I scale up text on
my menus?  Saying, "use a surfaceview" is awesome for the game itself
but all my legacy games have multiple activities for menus and use
standard Android UI components.  They worked great on all screens
before honeycomb/tablets, which are quickly becoming a major headache
for me.

Usually I just want 5 or so buttons laid out linearly vertically
either in the center or on the right side of the screen (portrait/
landscape) and I want the text on the buttons to scale up with the
screen so it looks exactly the same at 1280x800 vs 480x320.  Am I
missing something or is this not possible to do without adding
additional layouts for larger screens (and potentially making even
more layouts for even bigger screens later, etc)?

Best practices to achieve this, anyone?