No that is absolutely not true.

Services run in the same process as other components (unless you explicitly
change this with android:process).

Services run in the same THREAD as your other components.

All of this is documented here:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Service.html

In particular:
 What is a Service?

Most confusion about the Service class actually revolves around what it is *
not*:

   - A Service is *not* a separate process. The Service object itself does
   not imply it is running in its own process; unless otherwise specified, it
   runs in the same process as the application it is part of.
   - A Service is *not* a thread. It is not a means itself to do work off of
   the main thread (to avoid Application Not Responding errors).

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 1:27 AM, kamiseq <kami...@gmail.com> wrote:

> services are running in different process, you can bind to it so any
> activity could exchange data with it. start service just starts
> service
>
> hope that helped

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer