On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> A Service is not a separate process. The Service object itself does not
> imply it is running in its own process; unless otherwise specified, it runs
> in the same process as the application it is part of.
> A Service is not a thread. It is not a means itself to do work off of the
> main thread (to avoid Application Not Responding errors).

A Service is not a service, by which we mean it is not a Windows
service, the sort of thing that is designed to run for long periods of
time.

A Service is not a floor wax. A Service might be a dessert topping, in
Android releases that are desserts (vs. other forms of "tasty
treats").

:-)

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)