On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 11:22:12AM -0500, TreKing wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Paul <idi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Because I'm fixing something that is mostly needed by newer phone's
> > hitting the market and if existing users see an update they'll expect
> > improvements, new features, etc.
>
> You can't do what you want and I think you're making a bigger deal of
> this than it is. If you put out an update and change-log reads "fix for
> X devices", I can't imaging that annoying people. In fact, as a user
> I'd be happy to see that you were still working on the app, if it's
> been as long as you implied since you last updated.

I normally don't like "me too" posts, but in this case, I have to agree
with Treking 100% (I was thinking the exact same thing as I read through
this thread).  Just say something like "Fixes to provide better support
for [device list]."  That's a Good Thing, not a bad thing.  I think
you're making assumptions about your users' assumptions that are not
likely to be valid....  You could also add something like, "a new
release with new features is coming soon, but this release is ...."

That way, if your assumptions about their assumptions are right, you
still come out looking better for supporting ALL of your users.

Later,
   --jim

PS:  These are my opinions, based on how I would look at it AS A USER,
     and also as a developer.  When I get bug reports for JStrack (a
     Tcl/Tk based hurricane tracking program I've been working on
     since ca. 1996), I get at least a patch out as soon as I fix it,
     and if I already have a patch, I usually just put out a full
     bug-fix release.  I have YET to get any negative comments from
     users for doing so.  I HAVE gotten thank-you messages, however.

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | Peter da Silva:  No, try "rm -rf /"
spooky1...@gmail.com    | Dave Aronson:    As your life flashes before

Android Apps Listing at http://www.jstrack.org/barcodes.html