I'm starting the design for an app that spans phones and tablets (2.1 -
4.0, custom action bar pre-3.0, native action bar 3.0+) and working with a
designer used to the iPhone.  Going from a world where he worried about
3.5" only, to a world where every size is potentially available, is a
concern of mine.

So I'm wondering, which screen size, resolution, density, do we aim for to
start with?  Certainly we'll need to work on each of the layout/resource
variations (small, medium, large, xlarge, ldpi, mdpi, hpdi, etc, etc) but
I'm looking for a reference point to get started.  Should we be focusing on
the largest for phones, and largest for tablets, with the expectation that
we can mostly scale down from each of those to the smaller phone and tablet
sizes/resolutions/densities?

Any thoughts on this topic are welcome.

--
Chris Stewart