> GA is not part of the SDK, so you're going to be hard-pressed to get a
> good answer here. Try the GA documentation and see if there is a forum or
> user group. I'll try anyway.

I have gone through the documentation, couldn't find anything useful. The
GA documentation doesn't really focus on how to fit into applications. They
have mostly focused on webpage tracking.

> You mean you want to call "stop" on the tracker? Why?

I intend to start a new session for the tracker, not stop it. Since mostly
users use the Home key to exit applications, which technically just puts
the application in the background, I am getting very unrealistic session
lengths.

What state do you think you need to be tracking?

Well, one way I could track the application going to the background is by
maintaining a count of the Activities (say by incrementing and decrementing
a counter when an Activity is resumed or paused. That way, whenever the
count reaches zero, I can know that the application is in background, i.e,
no application activity is in the foreground. I haven't worked out the
details yet, but I think it can be done.) The reason I don't want to use
this approach is because I have a large number of Activites.

Apparently iOS provides some way to detect the
application-going-to-background state (not sure though, never used iOS, but
read something related to it in StackOverflow) . I think it is a good
feature. Any reason why Android doesn't provide us a way to do this?