In my keyboard app (http://www.maxikeys.com) the keyboard LAYOUTS are
services provided as seperate apks, which dynamically plugs in  the
keyboard ENGINE service.
You have to make an intent to the plugin service and a
serviceConnection with callback methods , and then call the
bindService method.
I'm not able to give you the code - but the rest is just details.

Hardy Henneberg
http://www.maxikeys.com