They aren't compressed so that they can be mmapped when starting the
process, instead of having to decompress and copy the entire resource block
to RAM.  You really do not want that file compressed.

One thing to look at is that you are building against a the min SDK version
at which the platform switched to UTF-8 for resource strings.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Mark Murphy <mmur...@commonsware.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Kevin TeslaCoil Software
> <ke...@teslacoilsw.com> wrote:
> > Actually in a normal build the resources.arsc file isn't zip
> > compressed with the other files are and it can be quite large.
> >
> > Manually running aapt can compress it (and does by default), but then
> > you get really weird force closes on some froyo devices. I've been
> > meaning to ask about why this is.
>
> If you can reproduce the problem, it seems like a fine issue for
> b.android.com, perhaps with a side post to the adt-dev Google Group
> about why they aren't compressed by default.
>
> Regardless, my apologies to the OP for my error.
>
> --
> Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
> http://commonsware.com | http://github.com/commonsguy
> http://commonsware.com/blog | http://twitter.com/commonsguy
>
> _The Busy Coder's Guide to *Advanced* Android Development_ Version 2.1
> Available!

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hack...@android.com