> 2) Download additional resources
> - The apk contains only enough translations to instruct users to
> download full language packages of their choice.
> - The language packages downloaded onto the SD card (simple xml files)
> - The app loads the xml file and creates its own table of resource
> strings which is used instead of R.string.
> Contra: This adds to the load time of the app if the string.xml is
> really big.

After a thread on this topic last year, I went for (2). You can also
download the strings zipped.

Of course there are extra complications. For instance, you can't then
refer to string IDs in standard XML layouts item like TextView and
Button. I guess you could define MyTextView and use your internal
lookup in the derived class. And you have to replace e.g. all
getString() etc calls in a service/activity with something like
MyRes.getString( this ).

Or you can go for a mixed approach where only stuff that doesn't
appear in layouts is offloaded.

Pent