I was thinking of implementing a coupon based system for my app so I could
offer some copies of the full version to some people. I found blog article
which provided the server code (to install on Google AppEngine) and the
client code to use on the app. I looked at the source code and realized the
way the system works (after the coupon has been validated and activated) is
with a simple a boolean variable with SharedPreferences.

*1) *My main question about this is, how safe is this? How easily is the
SharedPreferences file hackable on rooted devices to change that boolean
flag and "convert" an app to a full version even without a coupon code?

I'm talking about coupons here but they don't really matter. I thought
about using SharedPreferences before to handle a similar situation (ie:
boolean variable to control if the app is the full version or not). So the
question is really about SharedPreferences and how safe are they to control
the free/paid version of an app based on a boolean flag. If they are not
safe, is there any other way?

*2)* My second question and now related to the coupons system but we can
look at this as validating and activating an app through the Internet. The
idea is that I just want to activate the full version of my app to someone,
temporarily, some sort of a trial.

The problem is the deactivating part. Let's say I disable the full version
for a specific device on the validation server. If the user doesn't open my
app while connected to the Internet, the app will always be on "full mode"
and there's nothing I can do about it. Or is there?