Mark, thanks for suggestion related to content provider.

I made some research and content provider is not doable because I can
send file reference only. My app is clock so I had to serialize bitmap
every minute to SD card and it would be too much resource consuming.

I finally ended up with sending smaller bitmaps and scale them up in
remote view's layout.

Back to original topic of this thread:

Shouldn't be approach how to update bitmaps in RemoteViews changed? It
is virtually impossible to make clock that is 4x4 icons wide. It would
be either battery consuming or bad image quality.

I have quite bad feeling from ContentProviders API. It IMHO violates
good OOP design principles (why it expects file descriptors instead of
streams? Why class ParcelFileDescriptor is tied to Socket,
DataGramSocket and FileDescriptor classes? Should not be more generic
with specific implementations for every Socket, ... in separate
class?)

I would love to hear from Google's engineers that they think about
improvements of Widget API. Widgets are major advantages of Android
(comparing to major competitors iOS and WP7).

My 2 cents
Tom