Stoyan Damov wrote:
>> If the rough total of space reported by the Manage Applications list,
>> plus the amount of reported free storage space, does not add up to
>> anything near ~70MB, then something on your device is leaking storage,
>> and I would recommend a reset.
>
> Now I have a very important question before I do that - I own an
> unlocked phone (a friend of mine bought it unlocked) and I'm in
> Bulgaria. The question is whether I'd have to re-activate the phone
> after the factory reset, because apparently I can't activate it, and
> do not know for sure whether those "send as $25 and we'll send you an
> unlock code" websites *actually* work if I get screwed and have to
> re-activate.

http://phandroid.com/2008/10/25/how-to-reset-your-g1-and-start-from-scratch/

"I did today what you are wanting to do and it went fine. Sym card
wasn’t touched and I’m doing the same thing you want to do with my
google apps address."

http://forums.t-mobile.com/tmbl/board/message?board.id=Android3&thread.id=21321

No mention of re-activation, and you would think T-Mobile would bring up
that point, considering it would likely involve their tech support folk.

http://forums.t-mobile.com/tmbl/board/message?board.id=Android3&message.id=25212

Again, no mention of needing re-activation.

You may wish to conduct your own searches on "factory data reset" to see
if you find other evidence one way or another.

> I understand that the device is manufactured, and I am happy to have
> 70 MB for apps (at least until a next release enables apps to launch
> from a modified FAT32 SD card or whatever Google comes up with), but
> the thing is I *don't* have these 70 MBs, I have 1/10 of them :(((

Again, your phone probably started with ~70MB. Something with your phone
(development? third-party apps? OTA update? G1/Android bugs? fussing
around with root?) ate up memory in some hidden fashion.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com